How to Do-Good

Quick How-To Guide: Start the day with a little silence, scripture (via Forward Day by Day, if you choose) and prayer. Then open your eyes and make it a practice to be hyper-aware of who and what's going on around you. Deploy that deed with confidence when God gives you his signature gentle nudge. This may feel awkward and unnatural. #NoWorries #GoWithIt #DeedWellDone #BlessingsEnsueJustWait

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Day 182

Scripture: Ps 55, 138; Ps 139:1-23; 1 Kings 18:41—19:8; Philippians 3:17—4:7; Matthew 3:13-17
Scripture standout: Ps 139: "7 Where can I go from your Spirit? 
   Where can I flee from your presence? 
8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there; 
   if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. 
9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn, 
   if I settle on the far side of the sea, 
10 even there your hand will guide me, 
   your right hand will hold me fast. 
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me 
   and the light become night around me,” 
12 even the darkness will not be dark to you; 
   the night will shine like the day, 
   for darkness is as light to you."

Phillipians 3: "6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."

Morning thoughts: I've been thinking a lot about 9-11 this week. Of course, stories from that day have been all over the newspapers, radio and television. People are sharing their experiences as if this horrible event happened just yesterday. I was in the final two weeks of my pregnancy with Marley, Ben was still a twice-a-day napper. I had just quit my job at The Business Journal to get ready for this next chapter. And then the reports came. The TV went on...and never went off. "It looks like terrorism," said my Israeli editor, who called me back to work immediately and assigned  me stories. I had to call  people that morning and gather their initial reactions to all this unbelievable, awful and unspeakable thing. Few people had words. Just tears. I remember not wanting to drive across the bridge for playgroup. We were all scared and stressed out. And surely enough, Marley came into the world two days later. The televisions never turned off. And to this day, I can't let a few hours go by without checking CNN to make sure everything in the world is at least a little OK. No more surprises like that morning of 9-11 again.

Yesterday, NPR shared the story of the first NYC casualty of 9-11, the priest from the church new ground zero. I practically had to pull over I was crying so hard! How fitting that a priest should be the first to die, an angel to welcome the thousands more who perished that day.

Hate to be a downer, but these times are certainly reflective.


His Deed/The Day: David and his sister, Margaret, are doing their own triathlon today, "The Barton Invitational." Go time was 6 a.m. I considered sleeping in, but that wouldn't have been very supportive, would it?

No comments:

Post a Comment