How to Do-Good

Quick How-To Guide: Start the day with a little silence, scripture (via Forward Day by Day, if you choose) and prayer. Then open your eyes and make it a practice to be hyper-aware of who and what's going on around you. Deploy that deed with confidence when God gives you his signature gentle nudge. This may feel awkward and unnatural. #NoWorries #GoWithIt #DeedWellDone #BlessingsEnsueJustWait

Monday, April 25, 2011

Day 47

Scripture: Ps 16:8-11, Ps 18:19-24; Acts 2:14, 22-32; Matthew 28:9-15


Scripture standout: Ps 16: "8 I keep my eyes always on the LORD.  With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.9 Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure, 10 because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead, nor will you let your faithful[a] one see decay. 11 You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand."


Matthew 28: "10 Then Jesus said to them, “Do not be afraid. Go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee; there they will see me.”


Morning thoughts: I loved the sermon Dr. Cato shared in church yesterday. He raised the question, "Why did Jesus send them to Galilee?" He said that's where there was much work to be done — where the poor lived, where the needy were. Galilee was no Orlando (anyone who has seen "Book of Mormon" on Broadway will appreciate that reference), where everything is perfectly manufactured and hedged and glittering and in good order. Dr. Cato said we all need to go to Galilee. He shared how a professor told him that they would not find God in the Bible, but in places like Galilee. In places where there is a need. And I don't think you necessarily have to go on a mission trip or put yourself out there into the worst corners of the world. There is plenty of of Galilee lurking just down the street, or in the next car over in the carpool line. Maybe even in the Publix check-out line? Maybe we just need to be aware of it, and see where we fit into it?


The Deed/The Day: Birthday wishes — the easiest and lowest of the low-hanging fruit. I got to make a few of them today and Facebook makes it almost too easy. But it is what is. And I think birthday wishes are important. People may say they're not into their birthdays, but let's face it: everyone loves being remembered on their birthday.


Lord, I took Marley and her little buddy to see Soul Surfer today. I about bawled my eyes out! The girls spent half the movie whispering and pointing at me. I'm such a weeper. This movie was about the teenage professional surfer sensation who lost her left arm in a shark attack off the coast of Hawaii. As expected, she came back stronger and better with the "opportunity to hug so many more people than she ever could have with two arms." I needed Kleenex big time.


Thank God there are some serious deeders out there. I read this story yesterday in disbelief. Someone stole a wheelchair ramp from a sick little boy? Who does that? Yuck. Anyway, a company replaced the ramp:



Boy's Stolen Wheelchair Ramp Replaced

7-Year-Old's Family Received Many Calls From People Willing To Help

POSTED: Monday, April 25, 2011
A 7-year-old boy's wheelchair ramp that was stolen Friday has been replaced, thanks to the Jacksonville community's help.
Cason Lofton, who suffers from a rare muscle disease known as myotubular myopathy and is confined to a wheelchair, was unable to leave for a doctor's appointment Friday morning when his mom, Dana Lofton, realized her son's wheelchair ramp was gone.
"It was disbelief at first," Dana Lofton said. "I was looking around the yard, looking in the house, like I knew it wasn't there, but I just couldn't believe someone would take a wheelchair ramp belonging to anybody, much less a 7-year-old kid."
Dana Lofton said she had to save money for months to afford Cason's ramp, a basic metal ramp that went into the family's van and folded up. The family used to use a bedroom door to get Cason in and out of the car.
Thanks to Fletcher's Medical Supplies, they won't have to revert to the old method. The company brought Cason a new ramp Monday.
Dana Lofton said she received a number of calls from people willing to help replace the ramp after her son's story aired on Channel 4 on Friday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment