How to Do-Good

Quick How-To Guide: Start the day with a little silence, scripture (via Forward Day by Day, if you choose) and prayer. Then open your eyes and make it a practice to be hyper-aware of who and what's going on around you. Deploy that deed with confidence when God gives you his signature gentle nudge. This may feel awkward and unnatural. #NoWorries #GoWithIt #DeedWellDone #BlessingsEnsueJustWait

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Day 31


Scripture: Ps 107:33-43, 108:1-13, Ps 33; Jeremiah 23:9-15; Romans 9:1-18; John 6:60-71


Scripture standout: Again, there are several to highlight this morning. It seems like there is this recurring theme and tone. And I'm not quite sure what to make of it. All of the readings this morning seem to suggest God plays favorites — and we'll never know who that is, what what quantifiers God uses to make his choices. Does God have class favorites? Does he?:


Psalm 107: "33 He turned rivers into a desert, 
   flowing springs into thirsty ground, 34 and fruitful land into a salt waste,
   because of the wickedness of those who lived there. 
35 He turned the desert into pools of water
   and the parched ground into flowing springs; 
36 there he brought the hungry to live,
   and they founded a city where they could settle. 
37 They sowed fields and planted vineyards
   that yielded a fruitful harvest; 
38 he blessed them, and their numbers greatly increased,
   and he did not let their herds diminish.

 39 Then their numbers decreased, and they were humbled
   by oppression, calamity and sorrow; 
40 he who pours contempt on nobles
   made them wander in a trackless waste. 
41 But he lifted the needy out of their affliction
   and increased their families like flocks. 
42 The upright see and rejoice,
   but all the wicked shut their mouths.

 43 Let the one who is wise heed these things
   and ponder the loving deeds of the LORD.



Romans 9: "16 It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God’s mercy. 17 For Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.”[g] 18 Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden."


John 6: "65 He went on to say, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled them.”



Morning thought: Yikes! I don't want to be one of those wandering in "trackless waste!" But it's also not a pleasant thought to be hungry or needy. I want to be "enabled!" I feel like Arnold Horshak on Welcome Back Kotter (which, by the way, is coming back on the air next week) Eeeeewwoooooohh! Eeeeeowwoohooo! Eeewooooh! Pick me, Mr. Kotter! Is it OK if you try to seek God in everyday living? Is it OK if you try your best to live in a way that allows God to work through you? What a pickle. Especially pickling is that line in Romans where it says "God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy." Geez, I want to shape up like anyone else — but what if it's all moot? What if he's already picked his pets, and there's no gold star by my name?


Here's one more morning thought. It's the Daily Lenten Devotional from St. Mark's Episcopal Church, written by a friend who I see only every now and again — but she has a sunny, sweet personality. I can't even imagine she has these moments that she speaks of in her devotional. But I like the way she deals with them. Lord knows I have these thoughts:



On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, ‘If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water. John 7:37-38
Today’s Gospel reading really speaks to me. Jesus promises to quench our thirst. This is more than the obvious physical necessity of needing water to survive. It is Jesus’ promise to heal the emptiness in our lives; the God-shaped hole we all have in our lives which we try to fill with a variety of things but which only Jesus can satisfy. Meditating on this promise gives me comfort, but in this busy life, how often do I take time to let these promises soak in? I have found a spiritual discipline that helps me reconnect with Jesus and I would like to share it with you.

Here is a common scenario in my life. As much as we like to stay positive and happy, those bad days invariably sneak in. I have them and I know you do, too. Sometimes it will start with feeling overwhelmed by life – bills to pay, housework, paperwork, repairs, a bad day at the office, an argument with a spouse, a disappointment or betrayal by a friend. . . This list goes on and on. What makes it worse is that Satan seems to know my weak spots so well that he tries to magnify my bad days by trying to control my thoughts so that I start to really hate myself and my life. A disagreement with a friend turns into so much more. I start to wonder if I can really ever trust anyone, if anyone really likes me, if there is any point to life anyway. Wow-- – that’s a long way from my comfort in Jesus’ promise of living water! So what do I do. Well, first, I tell Satan to just go away! I make sure I call on Jesus’ name to renounce Satan and all he is trying to do to me.

Then, I start thinking of things to be grateful for. Some people keep a gratitude journal, but honestly, that is just too much for me to keep up with and I have found my method to be just as effective. I ruminate on the great things I have going on in my life – a loving husband, adorable nieces and nephew, a supportive parish family, a job that I absolutely love, great friends, a healthy lifestyle, a nice home, clothes on my back, plenty to eat . . . This list really does go on and on! Then, I thank God for all these blessings. And I start to feel so much better – truly filled with the living water of the Holy Spirit.

So, the next time you are having a bad day, give this discipline a try. It really restores my joy and I hope it will help you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment