How to Do-Good

Quick How-To Guide: Start the day with a little silence, scripture (via Forward Day by Day, if you choose) and prayer. Then open your eyes and make it a practice to be hyper-aware of who and what's going on around you. Deploy that deed with confidence when God gives you his signature gentle nudge. This may feel awkward and unnatural. #NoWorries #GoWithIt #DeedWellDone #BlessingsEnsueJustWait

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Day 43 Maundy Thursday


ScripturePs 116:1, 10-17; Exodus 12:1-14; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26; John 13:1-17


Scripture Standout: "12 When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. 13 “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. 14 Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. 15 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. 16Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17 Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them."


Morning thoughts: I have never gone to a Maundy Thursday service before. We're going to go tonight and see what it's all about. Washing someone's feet is the ultimate act of servitude, I wonder how it will feel to be the washed. Actually, I know how it feels because I am partially addicted to getting pedicures. Having my feet washed and rubbed and coifed is like heaven for me. Underneath the rumbling of the vibrating massage chair and the sounds of other women yacking, pedicures often make me feel a little "unworthy." How can you not when someone is bent over your feet scraping the muck and hard places from your dirtiest body parts?


The Deed/The Day: Washing someone's feet is a humbling event. Through all of this focus, I can't help but be pensive and sad tonight. Washing a fellow All Saint-er's feet tonight was not a deed. It was — a requirement of my faith. And if felt right. Before going to church tonight, I read that a longtime local journalist who I admire, is now in hospice. She has been battling cancer for some time, and has bravely chronicled it in a public way. After reading a short note on the paper's online edition that she was at the hospice stage, I felt so — compelled. A short note to her about how much I admire her came out quickly and easily. I pressed send. A near immediate expression of "thanks for caring" was received from the person who promised to share it with her tomorrow. What a sad night.

No comments:

Post a Comment