How to Do-Good

Quick How-To Guide: Start the day with a little silence, scripture (via Forward Day by Day, if you choose) and prayer. Then open your eyes and make it a practice to be hyper-aware of who and what's going on around you. Deploy that deed with confidence when God gives you his signature gentle nudge. This may feel awkward and unnatural. #NoWorries #GoWithIt #DeedWellDone #BlessingsEnsueJustWait

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Day 18 in Review


Prayer: Yes
Scripture: Yes
Silence: Yes, but it was that anxious silence — that here we go back to the grind, what do I have to do today silence. That is not productive silence.

The Deed/The Day: I thought it might be uplifting to scrutinize the wedding pages from today's paper, instead of the obituaries like I did yesterday. I love me some wedding pages each Sunday. Like their more somber counterparts, the obituaries, wedding blurbs tell a little life story — just minus the sad undertones. I gave a little prayerful, mental shout out to the happy-looking couples. Somehow, a morning acknowledgment of other's joys and sorrows eases the pressure of the rest of the day to find a deed — not to mention it is fun in a weird way. "Go Jody Lynn and Tommy Ray!" "Way to marry your high school sweetheart, Bobby!" There were only a few wedding blurbs this Sunday. I suppose this isn't an activity to pursue come June but it was manageable this morning.

Later today, we took visiting Afghan Ashrafulla to see Diary of a Wimpy Kid. It was funny how the some of the "bathroom humor" resonates culture to culture. Even though I know he didn't understand every word, Ashrafulla got it. So sharing a terrible tween movie with someone who doesn't see them very often felt good. I wouldn't say that was actually a deed, because Ashrafulla is such a delight and so polite that an outing with him is best described as an honor.

I'll have to steal from his host family's blog. Ashrafulla's host father shared a touching story of someone reaching out with a kind deed and message. It's very touching:

"Participating in this program involves a multitude of special moments – some hilarious, some challenging, and some just absolutely touching. I had one of those touching moments last weekend, when I took Ashraf to get his hair cut, along with me, at the neighborhood barber shop. The young barber who cut Ashraf’s hair was so honored to be doing it, and was just fascinated by Ashraf’s story. As we were getting ready to leave, I saw the young barber in the corner, scribbling away on some paper – he was writing a note for Ashraf, for Abed to read and translate later. He handed me the note, and I read it once we got into the car. I sat there in the barber shop parking lot with tears in my eyes – the note spoke of how much the barber admired Ashraf’s courage, and how he would be praying for him, and couldn’t wait to see him again after his surgery. Yes, I’m a big softie – always have been, always will be."

Isn't that a great story? Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think of barbers as being particularly out-reaching in a good-deedly kind of way. They cut hair. For men. Their life work is, well, more macho in nature. They deal in Barbicide and hair gel and gross old combs. I love the idea of a barber putting down his scissors and comb and scratching out a note of encouragement.

Words of encouragement/advice: From Checklist for Life: "Reaching out to others instead of always taking care of number one is worth the sacrifice. you are never as tall in God's sight as when you are on your knees, washing someone's feet. Make helping others a new priority in your life."

Final thoughts: I'm going to pray for opportunities to be more barber-like tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment