How to Do-Good

Quick How-To Guide: Start the day with a little silence, scripture (via Forward Day by Day, if you choose) and prayer. Then open your eyes and make it a practice to be hyper-aware of who and what's going on around you. Deploy that deed with confidence when God gives you his signature gentle nudge. This may feel awkward and unnatural. #NoWorries #GoWithIt #DeedWellDone #BlessingsEnsueJustWait

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Day 139


Scripture: Ps 72, 119:73-96; 2 Samuel 3:22-39; Acts 16:16-24; Mark 6:47-56


Scripture standout:
 Ps 119: "73 Your hands made me and formed me; 
   give me understanding to learn your commands."

Mark 6: "48 He saw the disciples straining at the oars, because the wind was against them. Shortly before dawn he went out to them, walking on the lake. He was about to pass by them, 49 but when they saw him walking on the lake, they thought he was a ghost. They cried out, 50because they all saw him and were terrified.   Immediately he spoke to them and said, “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” 51 Then he climbed into the boat with them, and the wind died down. They were completely amazed,"


Today's verse from Bgateway (just for fun, a real winner): "“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,”Hebrews 12:1 NIV"


Morning thoughts: I really needed that last little reminder. I have been running consistently for almost six years. Nearly every morning during the school, I run roughly 6 miles and talk big plans with RB. We do it under the cover of darkness, so by 6:30 most mornings I've exercised, showered and spent a little quiet time. I am definitely running with perseverance. During the summer, however, I take on every that hinders me and easily entangles me. I remind myself that it is too hot to run effectively. So I end up taking shorter runs and walking a good bit. This is not a bad thing at all. It IS too hot to run effectively during the summer in Florida! People die out there! But I don't need to be afraid of coming up short. I need to remember where my strength comes from, and who's marked out the race for me. Today, on a balmy but cloudy Florida morning, I ran the longest I have all summer.


His Deed/The Day: David can be very annoying when it comes to a fresh, heaping bowl of cereal. When you're not looking, he horks a HUGE first bite — throwing off the carefully measured balance of milk and good stuff. It happens nearly every time I pour myself a bowl of cereal. Sometimes, if I've made myself some delish Lucky Charms or something else with special morsels in it, the bite he takes will include an inordinate proportion of them — leaving me with the boring grains. (this is is how my cereal bowl sometimes looks:)





(this is secretly the way I wish it always looked:)





This morning, I saw his ears perk when I poured cereal in the bowl. I saw the back of his neck bristle as he was peanut-buttering his dry English muffin. So I offered the first bit to him. Without hesitation he grabbed the spoon and slurped a spoonful. As I watched him wipe milk from the corner of his mouth with the back of his work shirt, I know he appreciated it. Deed. Done.


Also, finally donated to the fund for the two boys who survived a family car crash that killed their parents.


Lastly, some final ... and always inspiring!... words from a Hottie Brian Williams "Making a Difference" story.


No comments:

Post a Comment