How to Do-Good

Quick How-To Guide: Start the day with a little silence, scripture (via Forward Day by Day, if you choose) and prayer. Then open your eyes and make it a practice to be hyper-aware of who and what's going on around you. Deploy that deed with confidence when God gives you his signature gentle nudge. This may feel awkward and unnatural. #NoWorries #GoWithIt #DeedWellDone #BlessingsEnsueJustWait

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Day 116

Scripture: Ps 45:11-18;  Zechariah 9:9-12; Romans 7:15-25; Matthew 11:16-19, 25-30


Scripture standout: Ps 45: "17 I will perpetuate your memory through all generations; 
   therefore the nations will praise you for ever and ever."

Romans 7: "21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me."

Matthew 11: "   28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”



Morning thoughts: Beach!!!!


His Deed/The Day: Thoughts for the day, relating to above scripture. First, why do older people start focusing so much on perpetuating their memories? My father does this at a deep level with family history. He does loads and loads of research, and has files full of information about distant and not so distant family. My mother-in-law just shared her project with me just this morning...to put her life in chronological order and have an electronic filing system in which to scan photos, documents and other memorabilia. If only I could remember what I did yesterday! Seriously! I often forget what I did the weekend before, or what we ate for breakfast that morning. It is pathetic. Maybe the older you get, the more pressure you feel to have your life's highlights in order. Not sure how that works. Perhaps one day I will.

So, I love the second scripture from Romans. I try to spend a few minutes each morning getting focused for the day and remembering my marching orders. And within moments of wrapping that up, I am consciously and happily grumbling about something or somebody. And I know it's wrong when I'm doing it, but it feels so good!!!!! Sometimes...and please don't write me off as crazy because I KNOW there are people who engage in this behavior sometimes, too...I give someone a piece of my mind in the bathroom mirror. I use sharp, curt words and I jam my finger into the mirror and scowl. I look bitchin. I even see what it looks like to bob my head at someone, or to flip someone off with two arms. It is totally easy to forget the "good way" of doing things. And so fun to dabble in the things we shouldn't be doing.

The last verse is so timely. Poor Ashraf has been in a lot of pain tonight. He turned his pins and now his pain is high. We loaded up on some pain medication and I tucked him into bed. Actually, I tucked him into his mat. He swore up and down that the floor is actually the most comfortable place for him and he likes it. Anyway, I'm tucking. And I told him that the only thing I could do for him at this point was to pray for him. So I prayed with him for God to comfort him and ease his pain...to give him rest. I text-asked the very gentle and sweet Aria, the interpreter, to pray him, too. She said of course. You don't have to be a proper Muslim or the bestest of the best Christian to pray. One prayer is not worthier than the other. Together, we prayed for the health of an amazingly brave child. That felt fulfilling on many levels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment