How to Do-Good

Quick How-To Guide: Start the day with a little silence, scripture (via Forward Day by Day, if you choose) and prayer. Then open your eyes and make it a practice to be hyper-aware of who and what's going on around you. Deploy that deed with confidence when God gives you his signature gentle nudge. This may feel awkward and unnatural. #NoWorries #GoWithIt #DeedWellDone #BlessingsEnsueJustWait

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Day 120

Scripture: Ps 18:1-50; 1 Samuel 16:14—17:11; Acts 10:17-33; Luke 24:36-53


Scripture Standout: Acts 10: "30 Cornelius answered: “Three days ago I was in my house praying at this hour, at three in the afternoon. Suddenly a man in shining clothes stood before me 31 and said, ‘Cornelius, God has heard your prayer and remembered your gifts to the poor. 32 Send to Joppa for Simon who is called Peter. He is a guest in the home of Simon the tanner, who lives by the sea.’ 33 So I sent for you immediately, and it was good of you to come. Now we are all here in the presence of God to listen to everything the Lord has commanded you to tell us.”


Morning thoughts: Now what? Have you ever acted on a divinely inspired "urge," or been compelled to do something that feels right because you just can't help yourself? Some people say they hear the voice of God, just like Cornelius. I have never seen a man in white clothes or been able to quote something I feel God has said to me, but I can relate a little to this story. After following that urge to deed or do something that feels right, the next question is — now what? OK, so I stepped out and did that. Now what? A man in bright clothes told me to send for you. I did that. So glad you came. Now what?Will something huge and amazing happen? Now what? Did I fulfill some bigger life mission? Now what? Maybe the calling is all we experience?


His Deed/The Day: Helped one of our Afghan visitors purchase a gift for a departing Afghan visitor. Brought dinner to a friend, going to bed now.

But before I go to bed, I can't help but be smiling about last night. We went to the home of an Afghan family. They put on the dog big time, but in a joyful, glad you're here kind of way. Nothing stuffy. Just tons of fun and joy. We ate a huge, delicious Afghan meal with several other family friends of the hosts and were treated to a late evening of Afghan music and then dancing. It was heaven-sent, seriously. Joy has a familiar ring, and this family shared it. My children were dancing and smiling, it was the best gift in the world.

1 comment:

  1. Oh no little girl. The "Now What's" reveal themselves years later. They sneak into our lives through daily obediences and pronounce themselves weeks or years later. Sometimes in this life and sometimes in heaven.
    "What is that to Thee? You -- Follow Me."

    ReplyDelete