How to Do-Good

Quick How-To Guide: Start the day with a little silence, scripture (via Forward Day by Day, if you choose) and prayer. Then open your eyes and make it a practice to be hyper-aware of who and what's going on around you. Deploy that deed with confidence when God gives you his signature gentle nudge. This may feel awkward and unnatural. #NoWorries #GoWithIt #DeedWellDone #BlessingsEnsueJustWait

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Day 172

Scripture: Ps 26, 28, 36, 39; 1 Kings 8:65—9:9; James 2:14-26; Mark 14:66-72


Scripture standout: James 2: "14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead."


Morning thoughts: I tried to go to bed at 7:45 last night. I had not slept much at all the night before, so directly after dinner I told everybody that mom was going night night. I put my head down on the cool pillow and snuggled in. First Ben came in with a stomach ache. Eyes still closed, I directed him to take a shower. He did. He returned to my bed. He writhed. I patted his back, eyes still closed. Eventually, he moved on to something more exciting. I slept. About 9:30, Marley came in to my room in tears. She couldn't go to sleep she explained through her sobbing. Her night had been all messed up because no one tucked her in properly, she said, heaving. I was still half-asleep, and not feeling very comforting. I might have been a little, angry. Sleep had been so lovely! After some grumpussing words to her, I finally got up and followed Marley back into her room and dug deep for my calm, more understanding mom. I rocked her a little, I got her a cup of water. I spoke in soothing tones and waited. To the scripture's point, back rubbing and rocking works much better than, "just go to bed!". She went to sleep, and so did I.

His Deed/The Day: Today I felt compelled to check in on a friend who has taken a new job. Last week, she was feeling disheveled and sick about her decision to say the least. I haven't heard back yet, but maybe she knows she is missed and people are praying for her!

No comments:

Post a Comment