How to Do-Good

Quick How-To Guide: Start the day with a little silence, scripture (via Forward Day by Day, if you choose) and prayer. Then open your eyes and make it a practice to be hyper-aware of who and what's going on around you. Deploy that deed with confidence when God gives you his signature gentle nudge. This may feel awkward and unnatural. #NoWorries #GoWithIt #DeedWellDone #BlessingsEnsueJustWait

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Day 151


Scripture: Ps 97, 99, 100, 94; 2 Samuel 14:1-20; Acts 21:1-14; Mark 10:1-16


Scripture standout: Ps 99: "18 When I said, “My foot is slipping,” 
   your unfailing love, LORD, supported me. 
19 When anxiety was great within me, 
   your consolation brought me joy."

Mark 10: "13 People were bringing little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them, but the disciples rebuked them. 14 When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15 Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” 16 And he took the children in his arms, placed his hands on them and blessed them."



Morning thoughts:It's funny to think that as adults, we think we have it all figured out. We analyze and plan and worry. We offer structure. We get to the bottom of things, we act efficiently. Act like little children? Well, in some ways we do. But isn't it safe to say most adults are always looking for ways to "just grow up?"

It's been a long, fun summer. I have had LOTS and LOTS of time to observe children's behavior. I'll be  you can do the same, too. Kids are impulsive, free...


they live in the moment, love without measure, ask for things they need, depend on their parents, see each of life's little iniquities and whine about them, stand up against things that irk them, freely make new friends, 



listen to teachers and grow each and every day. The list could go on forever...and what a great exercise to think about a relationship with God in these terms. Can I be more childlike today? Can I be completely dependent on God today to fulfill all my needs? I'd better...or I just might get...a spanking. And I mean it.


His Deed/The Day: Today I got hornswoggled into a deed.

(As an interesting side here, did you know that in addition to be a great word for being bamboozled, Hornswoggle is the name of o a famous "vertically challenged" professional wrestler? True! Here, meet Hornswoggle!)


Scary isn't he? He looks about as ready to kick some tail as I did today when I picked the kids up from VBS. They've been "teen leaders" helping there this week and have thoroughly enjoyed themselves.  While I was waiting for them to emerge, an adult volunteer told me how hard it was for her to be around all the kids. It had evidently been a long, painful morning. Smiling and with great empathy,(reflecting on what a full summer it has been with the little people) I quipped, "I hear ya!" Then she looked me squarely in the eyes and said, "Why didn't you sign up to help?"


Ouch! I felt hot spit go down to my toes and back up to my ears. Did someone really just ask this Sunday School teacher, this volunteer, this tired old mom who just drove to hell and back during the 2.5 hours of VBS to do a job-related interview, this, this, this sensitive person who usually tries to fill in wherever she can —did someone just ask me WHY I didn't sign up to help? Did she really want to know?


Quickly, I lied and told her that I would be helping. I teed myself up to help tomorrow. Hornswoggled.




No comments:

Post a Comment