How to Do-Good

Quick How-To Guide: Start the day with a little silence, scripture (via Forward Day by Day, if you choose) and prayer. Then open your eyes and make it a practice to be hyper-aware of who and what's going on around you. Deploy that deed with confidence when God gives you his signature gentle nudge. This may feel awkward and unnatural. #NoWorries #GoWithIt #DeedWellDone #BlessingsEnsueJustWait

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Day 149

Scripture: Ps 99; Exodus 34:29-35; 2 Peter 1:13-21; Luke 9:28-36


Scripture standout: Exodus 34: "29 When Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the two tablets of the covenant law in his hands, he was not aware that his face was radiant because he had spoken with the LORD."


Luke 9: "29 As he was praying, the appearance of his face changed, and his clothes became as bright as a flash of lightning."


Morning thoughts: I love creams and face lotions and cutting edge facial treatments just as much as the next nearly 40-something gal. For Christmas last year, my mother-in-law gave all of us daughters-in-law a brush that magically scrubs crud away.



It actually works pretty well, I think.

Twice a year, I get a vitamin-C facial which supposedly infuses my face skin with all sorts of good nourishment.



It helps a little, I think.

My face wash has a little acid in it, which is supposed to remove any cling-on crud that might still be attached to my face.



It helps me be thorough in my personal upkeep, I think. It all helps me — glow. Or does it, really?

Not, I think. It's all that is a bunch of whooey if my brows are furrowed in worry, or I'm frowning...or worse yet, when I'm grumpussing. That real, natural, mesmerizing glow comes from one thing, and one thing only: joy. And where does pure, radiant joy come from? Just one source. That's God. And he doesn't come in a bottle, tube or syringe.



I have friends and family who are close to God — they glow a lot. They are the friends and family members with whom I want to spend the most time. I feel happy in their presence. They're usually the same friends who exhibit realness and humor, sometimes self-deprecation, always kindness. They're not worried about themselves or the way the look or the way they're perceived or whether they're being heard. They're just present. They're just happy in the moment and secure in their relationship with God. And here's the best part: they pass it on without even knowing it! You don't have to be invited to the party either — and you don't have to pay $1,000 for a vile of Botox. You just sit. Absorb. And feel the vibe. It is a joyful experience, glowing!

That's where real radiance comes from...and isn't it interesting that this is a beauty secret that has been around since the world was made. Since Moses, geez!



His Deed/The day: Well, David beat me to the deeding AGAIN today. Bless his heart 10 million times because he took the kids on an overnight trip to Juniper Springs. It has been so nice to actually sit down and get some things done without interruption. I feel like a new person. There's nothing better too than knowing your kids are having a great time, and the caretaker is getting just as much out of it. That is an incredible relief for this old mom.

Thank goodness for Facebook. Once again, it makes deeding a snap. My little cousin, who's 22 now but is still six in my mind's vision of her, posted that she was sick. Summer sick. The worst. So what's a deeder to do? But respond to her post with a little sympathy, love and "you are missed." Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment