How to Do-Good

Quick How-To Guide: Start the day with a little silence, scripture (via Forward Day by Day, if you choose) and prayer. Then open your eyes and make it a practice to be hyper-aware of who and what's going on around you. Deploy that deed with confidence when God gives you his signature gentle nudge. This may feel awkward and unnatural. #NoWorries #GoWithIt #DeedWellDone #BlessingsEnsueJustWait

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Day 229

Scripture: Ps 50, 103; Nehemiah 1:1-11; Revelation 5:11-6:11; Matthew 13:18-23


Scripture standout: Matthew 13: "18 “Listen then to what the parable of the sower means:19 When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in their heart. This is the seed sown along the path. 20 The seed falling on rocky ground refers to someone who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. 21 But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away. 22 The seed falling among the thorns refers to someone who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, making it unfruitful. 23 But the seed falling on good soil refers to someone who hears the word and understands it. This is the one who produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.”


His Deed/The Day: So there was a major deeding opportunity today on the streets of Jacksonville. The firefighters and their boots were out and about. Before starting this experiment, I might have groaned or muttered, "get OUT of the street, dude! Roll 'em up!" But I scrambled for my purse. I sunk my claws into it, heroically grabbed it out, unleashed the snap sending coins all over the car and saw a $5-er crumpled at the bottom of my cash file. Perfect. A fiver... more than $1 or loose change, but not TOO much. I shook, fumbling to release it and pass it on out the window. And wouldn't you know it, before I could mash the window down button the light turned green and someone honked at me. I had to lurch forward. Deed left undone. Luckily, I made it safely to my destination...to a Mexican food restaurant where my church was "giving back" to the owner for helping us re-do our kitchen. Yummy deed.

No comments:

Post a Comment