How to Do-Good

Quick How-To Guide: Start the day with a little silence, scripture (via Forward Day by Day, if you choose) and prayer. Then open your eyes and make it a practice to be hyper-aware of who and what's going on around you. Deploy that deed with confidence when God gives you his signature gentle nudge. This may feel awkward and unnatural. #NoWorries #GoWithIt #DeedWellDone #BlessingsEnsueJustWait

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Day 78

Scripture: Ps 70, 71, 74;  Romans 14:1-12; Luke 8:26-39.


Scripture standout: Romans 14: "10 You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister[a]? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat. 11 It is written:
   “‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord,
‘every knee will bow before me;
   every tongue will acknowledge God.’”
[b]


Morning thoughts: 'Nuff said.


The Deed/The Day: I got deeded today! Sweet friend brought the most lovely dinner over tonight to help with Ashraf's recovery. Ashraf probably thinks he's hit pay dirt now, that he is going to be eating like a king! Little does he know how utilitarian and rote my cooking is, and how it will never be quite as accomplished as the one that came in today.  My repertoire consists of Mac & Cheese and microwave rice. 


My deed today? More pin care, baby. And disposing of a barf bag that wasn't mine. Boy oh boy!


I was also challenged to just be present and joyful in the moment — not worried about what I needed to do. What I needed to do was edit the paper, people were waiting on me. (Hate that, by the way. It makes me nervous when I feel like other people are twiddling their thumbs waiting on me to finish up) Instead, I got swept away in the flow of a slow-moving river that included a long-winded but sweet Honors Chapel at school, the flurry and excitement of Last-Day-of-School pick-up, a long visit from a precious Afghan friend who I haven't seen in a while and some respite attention for our little patient. I was tempted to not enjoy a moment of it and dwell on the drum of "OMG you have like a MILLION things to accomplish today and this ain't on the list!" And you know what? It all got done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment