How to Do-Good

Quick How-To Guide: Start the day with a little silence, scripture (via Forward Day by Day, if you choose) and prayer. Then open your eyes and make it a practice to be hyper-aware of who and what's going on around you. Deploy that deed with confidence when God gives you his signature gentle nudge. This may feel awkward and unnatural. #NoWorries #GoWithIt #DeedWellDone #BlessingsEnsueJustWait

Friday, May 6, 2011

Day 58


Scripture: Ps 16, 17, 134, 135; Daniel 3:1-18; 1 John 3:1-10; Luke 3:15-22


Scripture standout: Luke 3: "21 When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as he was praying, heaven was opened 22and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”


Morning thoughts: This reminds me of my own family's experiences with birds. They have not been about doves (although, don't get me started about some of the doves and pigeons and other hunted animals that have lived in our garage for bird dog training. Yuck!) Instead, my bird experience has involved little, yellow birds.


Grandaddy, my grandfather on my dad's side, lived in Goliad, TX about two hours from our house in San Antonio. He died when I was very young, but I have very distinct memories of his playful presence, his twinkle and his warmth. At the end of every visit or phone conversation he would promise me this: that he was sending a little, yellow bird over to the house to tell me how much he loved me. Watch out, he said, for that little, yellow bird. I always kept watch for him — that little, yellow bird.


Flash forward more than 25 years. By this time, not only had Grandaddy passed on, but Grandmother, my mom, my Pampaw and my Bobbie all were long gone. I was giving Ben and Marley a bath and the kids were splashing around. Ben suddenly stopped and looked down at the drain. (I am not kidding, this is just how it was) He reached down into the water, pulled his hand back up and produced his empty hand with great excitement. "Look, Mommy!" he said. "A little, yellow, bird! I am going to name him Airplane!" And for months after that moment, Ben wore Airplane on his shoulder proudly.


I still can't believe it. What a gift!


I love the image of angel messages coming down to rest on our shoulders like doves or little, yellow birds. I hope one lands on me today.


The Deed/The Day: What a privilege to go into a quiet neighborhood chapel, where the door was open and the breeze danced in on a beautiful morning. Some wonderful people organized a prayer vigil for a local mom who underwent surgery this morning. It felt great to sit there by myself and focus on her and her recovery for 15 minutes. What an opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment