How to Do-Good

Quick How-To Guide: Start the day with a little silence, scripture (via Forward Day by Day, if you choose) and prayer. Then open your eyes and make it a practice to be hyper-aware of who and what's going on around you. Deploy that deed with confidence when God gives you his signature gentle nudge. This may feel awkward and unnatural. #NoWorries #GoWithIt #DeedWellDone #BlessingsEnsueJustWait

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Day 62

Scripture: Ps 26, 28, 36, 39; Daniel 4:28-37; 1 John 4:7-21; Luke 4:31-37


Scripture standout: Ps 39: "6 “Surely everyone goes around like a mere phantom; 
   in vain they rush about, heaping up wealth 
   without knowing whose it will finally be.

1 John: 4: "20 Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen.


Morning thoughts: I feel fortunate that I don't hate my brother or any of my siblings-in-law. Mild annoyances? Sometimes. But hate — never. I do remember fighting a lot with my brother growing up. Not only did we argue and call each other awful things, but we also fought in very physical ways. This drove our poor mother crazy. One afternoon, we were literally rolling around on the living room floor — grabbing hair, pounding each other, screaming out for mom to intervene and punish the evil-doer. Our mom, the ultimate peace-maker and lover of all things quiet and lovely, probably couldn't take one more minute of us. We heard the engine of her two-tone Oldsmobile station wagon roar to life. As we scrambled to the window, we caught a glimpse of the yellow and brown wagon fishtailing out of the driveway and away into the solace of the neighborhood streets. That ended that.


This verse from 1 John was probably ringing through her head. I hope it reverberates through mine today as I struggle to love all the "brothers and sisters" I see today. Sounds like I can't love the Big Guy very effectively without doing it.


The Deed/The Day: Ah, to have it all done by 1:30. I woke up to an email about Tacos for Tuscaloosa, which was so inspiring. A mother at RPDS organized a fundraiser event to raise money for Tuscaloosa, which has been hit hard by the tornadoes and storms. I believe she has siblings who live in the area. Instead of just watching and tsking, this mom took action — prayerfully and mightily. She went for the whole enchilada! I read an excerpt from an email she sent to some of the organizers about the planning. Wow. What a gift to see how God works through people for the good of others. This is how things work when you let go and let God. Below is a planning email from this angel of a deeder:



"After many phone calls around town to get a good price on tacos...I came to the conclusion that I was just going to have to brown 50 lbs. of beef for 400 tacos!

God says to ask him specifically for our needs...SO I DID.
I asked Him, for a .50 cent taco...toppings and ALL.

I had already gotten two estimates: One for $1.5 a taco and one for $1.00 a taco. NO GO.

GUESS WHAT HAPPENED TODAY?...

***_____ called with a connection from LaNapolera and said they could give us beef, shells, cheese, lettuce and sour cream and salsa for .50 a taco!
God is MY ENCHILLADA! :)

I have made a sign and am going to pick up the meat/ toppings tomorrow at 10:00 from the Kingsley LaNapolera.
 • would someone want to get some balloons? My Banner is turquoise and Yellow/ table cloths are RED.  • I need volunteers at school to put together the tacos...lets say 11:00.  Lunch starts at 11:25 and all we are doing is spooning beef into the bottom of shell.  • There will be tables set up and I have red table cloths, plates, and napkins.  • As volunteers, all we are going to do is spoon the toppings on for the kids...
VOILA...NOT HARD AT ALL! Let me know if I have forgotten something. 



Isn't that amazing?!?


So today's deed was two-fold: I continued my volunteer work with the foundation coming up with an effective education grant. And before it got too far down on my to-do list, I wrote birthday thank you notes...email style. I know it's not kosher, but they're done and hopefully my friends know how appreciative I am for their companionship and time. I am a big proponent of writing thank you notes, or at the very least (like me), acknowledging thanks with givers directly. Giving is a deed, and so is thanking, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment