How to Do-Good

Quick How-To Guide: Start the day with a little silence, scripture (via Forward Day by Day, if you choose) and prayer. Then open your eyes and make it a practice to be hyper-aware of who and what's going on around you. Deploy that deed with confidence when God gives you his signature gentle nudge. This may feel awkward and unnatural. #NoWorries #GoWithIt #DeedWellDone #BlessingsEnsueJustWait

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Day 66




Scripture: Ps 30, 32, 42, 43; Daniel 6:16-28; 3 John 1-15; Luke 5:27-39


Scripture standout: Daniel 6: "The king said to Daniel, “May your God, whom you serve continually, rescue you!”


Morning thoughts: Who doesn't feel like they're in the lion's den some days? I do — a lot. Sometimes I wonder how I'm going to get out, or how things are going to resolve themselves. The next few weeks are crazy around our house between birthdays, Ashraf moving in and having surgery, getting the kids' school year wrapped up, preparing for summer camp (especially for one who feels like it isn't fair that she's going!), organizing the interfaith forum at church, getting out two newspapers and the list goes on and on and on. Sometimes, the only thing I feel like I can do is just sit and stare. Or sleep. Help! Rescue me!


These crazy, busy times are like a complicated stitch pattern in embroidery. I don't embroider, but I remember my grandmother doing it. There might be an area with raised stitches or knots or different colors in one section. It looked very complicated when she was doing it. But at the end, that section was one of the most beautiful of the whole project. Maybe these crazy times are also like a roller coaster ride: they're scary. And while they look long and twisty and high and sickening, the ride only lasts for a few minutes. And if you close your eyes and scream bloody murder, like I enjoy doing, you'll stay in your seat and stay the course. And then it's over. And when you're walking away from it, you can look back at the giant mess of twists and turns and think — I rode that. I'm still alive. And it was fun.


The Deed/The Day: Yuck. Winn-Dixie had a pitiful selection of bananas this afternoon. You could get bright green, or dark yellow-brown mushy. I went for a bag, and noticed the guy next to me (who made similar comments about the banana options) was waiting for one, too. I gave him my bag. To wrap things up, I brought my cart back from the parking lot along with another woman's.

No comments:

Post a Comment