How to Do-Good

Quick How-To Guide: Start the day with a little silence, scripture (via Forward Day by Day, if you choose) and prayer. Then open your eyes and make it a practice to be hyper-aware of who and what's going on around you. Deploy that deed with confidence when God gives you his signature gentle nudge. This may feel awkward and unnatural. #NoWorries #GoWithIt #DeedWellDone #BlessingsEnsueJustWait

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Day 76


Scripture: Ps 61, 62, 68:1-36;  Romans 12:1-21; Luke 8:1-15


Scripture standout: Psalm 62: "7 My salvation and my honor depend on God[c]
   he is my mighty rock, my refuge. 8 Trust in him at all times, you people;
   pour out your hearts to him,
   for God is our refuge.

 9 Surely the lowborn are but a breath,
   the highborn are but a lie.
If weighed on a balance, they are nothing;
   together they are only a breath. 



Romans 12: "Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. 4 For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5 so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your[a] faith; 7 if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; 8 if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead,[b] do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully."


Morning thoughts: As so often happens, examples of deeding and living out some passage jumps out of the morning newspaper. Today was a story in the sports section. I don't usually read the sports section, but a story caught my eye. It's about the owner of our local running store. He's launching a campaign to save the cross-country running programs in the local public schools. Void of funding with budgets slashed to bits, sports programs in our schools are at death's door. Doug Alred, this tall lanky guy trying to run a small business and nearly every running event that occurs in Jacksonville, is fighting for young runners. He wants to raise nearly $70,000 to keep the programs intact. His actions remind me of hte passage above — about how we all have strengths and gifts, and as a community we share them in different ways. Me? I like to run, but I don't have the passion or interest to launch a fundraising campaign like Doug does. For some reason, I guess my passions are more related to ailing Afghans and gathering people. Not sure why either.


I have a little saying from the funeral of one of my friends right above my desk: "Hide not your talents, they for use were made. What's a sundial in the sahde?"


The Deed/The Day: Pin. Care.

1 comment:

  1. A perfect post for my situation today. I'm in the lion's den and needed this.
    Thank you for listening to the Lord.

    ReplyDelete