How to Do-Good

Quick How-To Guide: Start the day with a little silence, scripture (via Forward Day by Day, if you choose) and prayer. Then open your eyes and make it a practice to be hyper-aware of who and what's going on around you. Deploy that deed with confidence when God gives you his signature gentle nudge. This may feel awkward and unnatural. #NoWorries #GoWithIt #DeedWellDone #BlessingsEnsueJustWait

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Day 98

Scripture: Ps 119:97-120, Ps 81, 82; 1 Samuel 2:12-26; Acts 2:1-21; Luke 20:27-40


Scripture standout: Ps 119 "05 Your word is a lamp for my feet, 
   a light on my path."

Acts 2: "17 “‘In the last days, God says,
   I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
   your young men will see visions,
   your old men will dream dreams. 
18 Even on my servants, both men and women,
   I will pour out my Spirit in those days,
   and they will prophesy. 
19 I will show wonders in the heavens above
   and signs on the earth below,
   blood and fire and billows of smoke. 
20 The sun will be turned to darkness
   and the moon to blood
   before the coming of the great and glorious day of the Lord. 
21 And everyone who calls
   on the name of the Lord will be saved.’
[c]




Morning thoughts: I am not into ominous, end of the world texts but I like this because it reminds me of something a good friend shared with me once. A conversation I had with some other friends distressed me deeply in recent years. We were talking about who's going to heaven and who ain't. My personal hope and feeling is that everyone has a shot. And there are many faiths proclaiming essentially the same message: love your neighbors, love God. I don't want to get too deep on this point because I know it's a big sticking point for many people.  But I definitely fall on the side of there being many ways to heaven. Anyway, I asked a friend who knows much more than I do on all things spiritual. She said we don't know what happens to people when they're about to leave this earth. We'll never know what kind of conversation or experience God offers us. She said who knows if God sits at the end of your bed and whispers sweet, affirming, undeniable truths to everyone before they pass. Who are we to judge?


His Deed/The Day: So, today I was all set to let a great deed commence. One of the male interpreters indicated last night that of all the things he wanted to do in America, going to the June 23 Britney Spears concert was it. That's all. Just one Britney Spears concert. I was dying! I told him what a naughty, naughty girl Britney is! I told him, motioned with all my might, how she was so crazy she shaved her head. 





I explained she was a bad mother — 










and she even went into the bathroom without shoes! 






(She kissed Madonna!!!!! I shouted to myself...)


 But he insisted. He said he liked her music, he enjoyed...the words. He would not be told otherwise.




OK, and to be honest and having been to Britney Spears' "Toxic" concert 8 years ago in Jacksonville (because I too was curious about the big deal was all about), I found it to be absolutely hysterical that a nice, respectful and very tall Afghan teenager would have any remote interest in someone so — Cover-of-People-magazine. So we figured it would be nice to get him a couple of nosebleed tickets — so he could witness Britney in all her sleazy glory. Alas, and rightly so, the concert was not to be. Smarter minds considered the totality of the potential scenario. There were too many things in the "negatives" column to let it happen, so the resounding decision was a "toxic" (get it?), no. So no Britney Spears deeding today.


Perhaps today's deed was protecting a very nice Afghan teenager from the debauchery that is Britney Spears. 






Yes. That's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment