How to Do-Good

Quick How-To Guide: Start the day with a little silence, scripture (via Forward Day by Day, if you choose) and prayer. Then open your eyes and make it a practice to be hyper-aware of who and what's going on around you. Deploy that deed with confidence when God gives you his signature gentle nudge. This may feel awkward and unnatural. #NoWorries #GoWithIt #DeedWellDone #BlessingsEnsueJustWait

Monday, June 13, 2011

Day 96

Scripture: Ps 80, 77; 1 Samuel 1:1-20; Acts 1:1-14; Luke 20:9-19


Scripture standout: Acts 1: "9 After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight."


1 Samuel 1: "12 As she kept on praying to the LORD, Eli observed her mouth.13 Hannah was praying in her heart, and her lips were moving but her voice was not heard. Eli thought she was drunk 14 and said to her, “How long are you going to stay drunk? Put away your wine.”
 15 “Not so, my lord,” Hannah replied, “I am a woman who is deeply troubled. I have not been drinking wine or beer; I was pouring out my soul to the LORD. 16 Do not take your servant for a wicked woman; I have been praying here out of my great anguish and grief.”
 17 Eli answered, “Go in peace, and may the God of Israel grant you what you have asked of him.”


Morning thoughts: It is 6:45 and I am a "woman who is deeply troubled" that Quodrat doesn't sleep in very late like his friend Ashraf. I hear him downstairs letting the dog out. This means he will likely want to go on a run again this morning. Like last time, I will assume it will make him tired and want to sleep longer later. But that will not be the case. I am still trying to figure out this little guy — he doesn't sleep much, he's very sweet, but also very moody, pensive.


His Deed/The Day: I was thinking how funny it would be if the scripture from Samuel was read in our house:


David: "How long are you going to stay drunk? Put away your wine.”


Susanna:  15 “Not so, my lord, I am a woman who is deeply troubled."

Ha! Can't you hear it? I'll bet my OC Housewives tell their husbands that each and every evening!

Today's deeding had me shuttling teenage Afghans around. What a fun adventure. It was a busload today with Edris the Afghan Basketball Player interpreter, Aria the recent birthday girl, pouting Hikmat and the two happy guys, Ashraf and Quodrat a.k.a. Catchaloo, or Potato. They like to drive with the pop music playing loudly and proudly. Clapping usually ensues and laughter is prevalent. Sometimes the windows go down. I felt like a teenager again, myself. It was reminiscent of those summer days spent cruising San Antonio with Wham! busting out the speakers. As we approached Edris' house, I asked him if he needed anything before I dropped him off. He thought for a minute, "French fries. Are there any nearby?" Like, on every corner!!!! So we wheeled through a McDonald's for some fries, or "chips." I must admit, every now and again a small, salty pouch of McDonald's french fries is heavenly.


No comments:

Post a Comment