How to Do-Good

Quick How-To Guide: Start the day with a little silence, scripture (via Forward Day by Day, if you choose) and prayer. Then open your eyes and make it a practice to be hyper-aware of who and what's going on around you. Deploy that deed with confidence when God gives you his signature gentle nudge. This may feel awkward and unnatural. #NoWorries #GoWithIt #DeedWellDone #BlessingsEnsueJustWait

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Lent Day 3 (Day 349 of experiment)



Scripture: Ps 30, 32, 42, 43; Ezekiel 39:21-29; Philippians 4:10-20; John 17:20-26


Scripture standout: Phillippians 4: "13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength."


His Deed/The Day: I am doing the laundry of two talented strangers this morning. Part of the gig when the American Boychoir comes to town is that you offer to do their laundry. Arnob had lots. And both boys wanted their beautiful, signature, red sweaters washed.


I couldn't do it.


Those two gorgeous red sweaters with "American Boychoir" embroidered with swirls and majesty on the left breast screamed laundry disaster to me. I had visions of returning them to the church this morning in tears — in sweaters three sizes to small, with pink T-shirts on underneath. I imagined them pointing at me, bawling and the director screaming, "Woman, what have you done?!!!!" I shuttered to think of my banishment from the church.


It was washroom paralysis. So I washed the boxers, T-shirts, socks and pants. But I threw the red sweaters in the dryer with a couple of sweet smelling sheets. Two eighth grade boys will never know the difference, I am sure.


Deesclosure: Sometimes it feels abnormal and too prescribed to make a deed happen each day. But maybe it's being conscious of it that is helpful. It takes training to pull our eyeballs off ourselves. Maybe a do-gooding experience doesn't emerge, but at least there's awareness of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment