How to Do-Good

Quick How-To Guide: Start the day with a little silence, scripture (via Forward Day by Day, if you choose) and prayer. Then open your eyes and make it a practice to be hyper-aware of who and what's going on around you. Deploy that deed with confidence when God gives you his signature gentle nudge. This may feel awkward and unnatural. #NoWorries #GoWithIt #DeedWellDone #BlessingsEnsueJustWait

Monday, February 13, 2012

Day 337

Scripture: Ps 89:1-52; Genesis 30:1-24; 1 John 1:1-10; John 9:1-17


Scripture standout: 1 John 1: "5 This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. 6 If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all[b] sin."


John 9: "6 After saying this, he spit on the ground, made some mud with the saliva, and put it on the man’s eyes. 7 “Go,” he told him, “wash in the Pool of Siloam”(this word means “Sent”). So the man went and washed, and came home seeing."


His Deed/The Day: I have to share about two angel experiences during the race yesterday — which, btw, was cold to the bone but a wonderful experience. I think probably due to the cold weather, the crowd support was a little thinner than usual this year. Which isn't to say there wasn't any, but it wasn't exuberant as year's past. Maybe that was good because it made three angels stand out a little brighter. The first was this random guy on the side of the course who said, "It's OK to walk a little." That was reassuring, because I was thinking the same thing. I was getting hungry and wanted to rip into my energy beans. Here's when the second angel arrived. It was so dang cold outside, and my hands were so frozen, I could not use my fine motor skills. Much less, I had gloves on. To my horror, I realized there was no way I could get into my bag of beans. Try as I might, I could not open the freaking bag. I thought I might cry. About that time, I saw three people cheering outside of their house. I told them how silly this was, but I could not open my bag of beans. They were so helpful! They pried those things open and sent me on my way. I needed that. The last angel appeared after I crossed the finish line. Originally, I passed on getting one of those foil blankets because I had actually warmed up by that point. But as I was walking toward the post-race area, this sweet old man with kind eyes said, "Here, let me put this on you. And he took a foil blanket, snapped it open and put it gently over my shoulders. Then his arthritic hands took the ends and fashioned a tie in the front — I looked like superman. Our eyes met, and I could see how tender he was, how important what he was doing was. He was not in a hurry. He was not looking around for the next runner to help. We had a moment.

Today's deed was bringing another "pick me up kit" to a friend recuperating from a big surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment