How to Do-Good

Quick How-To Guide: Start the day with a little silence, scripture (via Forward Day by Day, if you choose) and prayer. Then open your eyes and make it a practice to be hyper-aware of who and what's going on around you. Deploy that deed with confidence when God gives you his signature gentle nudge. This may feel awkward and unnatural. #NoWorries #GoWithIt #DeedWellDone #BlessingsEnsueJustWait

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Day 329

Scripture: Ps 147:1-12, 21c; Isaiah 40:21-31; 1 Corinthians 9:16-23; Mark 1:29-39


Scripture standout: Isaiah 40: "28 Do you not know? 
   Have you not heard? 
The LORD is the everlasting God, 
   the Creator of the ends of the earth. 
He will not grow tired or weary, 
   and his understanding no one can fathom. 
29 He gives strength to the weary 
   and increases the power of the weak. 
30 Even youths grow tired and weary, 
   and young men stumble and fall; 
31 but those who hope in the LORD 
   will renew their strength. 
They will soar on wings like eagles; 
   they will run and not grow weary, 
   they will walk and not be faint."

His Deed/The Day: So I'll cheat and share yesterday's deed as today's. Being that it's Super Bowl Sunday, I will likely be deeding no one but myself with some Velveeta cheese and commercial watching!

I have been working on the Teachable Moments series in the Times-Union with a lovely journalist at the public radio station, WJCT. We started doing our teacher interviews together in the studio about a month ago, and it's been super fun. She's a little older than I am, with kids who are out of the house and out of college. But still, we connect personally I think. When I went over on Friday night, it was a little chilly — I grabbed this big, awesome, stretchy, jersey scarf that provides the ultimate in wrap-up coziness. When I got to the studio, it was one of the first things NPR Buddy noticed. She admired it. She touched it, I could just see that she was trying to figure out how where to find one for herself. And I understand that — I'm telling you, if you're a cold-natured person like myself, you're always looking for something you can tuck in your purse and flog out when the air conditioning's blasting or you're sitting under a vent, or it's just plain chilly out. It's a gem of a piece!

I remembered that I had two of these scarves. And the other one was deep in the scarf pile — I never wore it. So I made note of NPR Buddy's interest. The next day I unearthed scarf two, folded it nicely, tied a bow around it and wrote NPR Buddy a little letter. I explained to hear that I never wore the scarf because it was actually meant for her. I apologized that there were four small holes at the bottom of one side, where I had removed an annoying tag. Woops! I got in the car and drove it to the station, and left it on the receptionist's chair.

Another thing I've learned about deeding. Follow through is a must. It's one thing to hear the idea and decide to do it. It's another to do it. Don't let your deeds pile up, or they become a chore. Just a thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment