How to Do-Good

Quick How-To Guide: Start the day with a little silence, scripture (via Forward Day by Day, if you choose) and prayer. Then open your eyes and make it a practice to be hyper-aware of who and what's going on around you. Deploy that deed with confidence when God gives you his signature gentle nudge. This may feel awkward and unnatural. #NoWorries #GoWithIt #DeedWellDone #BlessingsEnsueJustWait

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Day 395



Scripture: Ps 105:1-8; Acts 3:1-10; Luke 24:13-35

Scripture standout: Luke 24: "As they came near the village to which they were going, he walked ahead as if he were going on. But they urged him strongly, saying, "Stay with us, because it is almost evening and the day is now nearly over." So he went in to stay with them. When he was at the table with them, he took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened, and they recognized him; and he vanished from their sight. They said to each other, "Were not our hearts burning within us while he was talking to us on the road, while he was opening the scriptures to us?"

His Deed/The Day: Ever go to bed mad and wake up angry? Ever feel like your chest and throat are so hot you just might vurp lava? I have been feeling this way for the past two nights about a situation affecting our son. He was sexually bullied at a Boy Scout meeting at Southside UMC (in a bathroom of all places) just before Christmas by a 16-year-old boy who is troubled, medicated, ADHDHAHDHDHD whatever, and poor thing, lives with his grandmother, and NEEEEDS scouting according to the adult troop leadership. We immediately airlifted Ben from the troop, but the boy who aggravated him continues on in scouting there. In fact, he was recently promoted. Ben was not physically injured or even mentally scarred, but he was terrified that night. And now we are left with adult troop leaders making excuses and defending the boy's behavior and giving him second chances — all the while discounting Ben's side of the story, and portraying us as overreacters.

This is all coming up again now because several friends' sons have made the cross over to that troop. They're asking questions. And I've been giving them honest feedback about our experience. Long story to a point? I have venom breath now. I go to bed angry. The mama bear's fur has been ruffled big time.

I feel like my deed to the troop leadership should be a fat stinging lawsuit! But that's not the answer. I want my deed to convince other parents to steer clear of this troubled troop! But perhaps that's not the answer either. I want the troop's deed to Ben to be some semblance of an apology or recognition of his feelings. But sadly, that isn't going to happen — so that's not an answer either.

Is there any deed, any do-gooding, that can turn this angry chest heat into a cool, refreshing breath? I only have to turn my head slightly to the left to see what is likely the answer. And there is little drama here. No mention of lawsuits. No pitchforks and torches. No creative literature about how things should play out. It's this, from 1 Thess 5: 16: "Be joyful always (seriously?!?! Even when Mama Bear is this angry?), pray continually (OK...this, I can aim to do) and give thanks in all circumstances (for my son being bullied by some a** hole kid, for Boy Scout leaders portraying my son as unreliable, quiet and overly sensitive...and me as overreactive? Furreal?). For this is God's will for you in Christ."

I get that. It's hard. But I get that. Today's deed will be to start a long mental list of reasons why I should be grateful for this experience. At this point, I can only think of one: that Ben is safe, and that nothing more sinister occurred with him or others. Finding other reasons to give thanks in this circumstance may be tricky, but that will be today's deeding challenge.

GD Boy Scouts.

Deedsclosure:

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry this happened to Ben. I feel your outrage . . . not only at what happened but at the troop leadership. From your post, it seems like they are being quite cavalier about the whole thing. You say that no one else has received this kind of treatment from this boy but whose to say it won't happen again?! I understand the troop leaders' compassion for the boy who "needs" Scouting," but does he "need" it at the other boys' expense!!! You may have already done this but I would also address this with the administrators at the Council. And I know from experience (I used to work at the Girl Scouts,) I'd be shocked if this sat well with them. This sounds like a time bomb wanting to happen.

    ReplyDelete