How to Do-Good

Quick How-To Guide: Start the day with a little silence, scripture (via Forward Day by Day, if you choose) and prayer. Then open your eyes and make it a practice to be hyper-aware of who and what's going on around you. Deploy that deed with confidence when God gives you his signature gentle nudge. This may feel awkward and unnatural. #NoWorries #GoWithIt #DeedWellDone #BlessingsEnsueJustWait

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Day 394


Scripture: Ps 33:18-22; Acts 2:36-41; John 20:11-18

Scripture standout: Ps 33: "Behold, the eye of the LORD is upon those who fear him, *
on those who wait upon his love,"


His Deed/The Day: Another day of getting back to basics. I let two old ladies cross the road. Old ladies= opps for good deeds.

Deedsclosure: Just six more days of this experiment. And already, I feel sad that it's about to be over. Finally, after nearly 400 days of willing a good deed to come along for me to do, the act of do-gooding is beginning to feel a little more like habit. Isn't that strange and awful that it has taken this long for a daily duty to sink in? I mean, isn't it supposed to take 10 times to make something habit? Why is looking out for opportunities to serve others so unnatural and not second nature?

It's been so many days, I can't remember if I mentioned the act of asking. I read a book called "The Prayer of Jebez," or something like that. The idea was, you have to ask God to be a blessing and to "expand your territory." That's where it got into the "pray for money and success and God will give it to you" gray area that I detest about Christian literature. But I did really like, and now embrace, the idea of asking God to open me up each day to the job of blessing somebody. I like the idea of being the servant that has his hand up in the air. Sometimes after my morning runs, my prayer to God is "please use me today, put me to work, work through me to bless someone big time today." I'm not sure if it's the smoking gun of deeding, but it definitely puts me in the right frame of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment