How to Do-Good

Quick How-To Guide: Start the day with a little silence, scripture (via Forward Day by Day, if you choose) and prayer. Then open your eyes and make it a practice to be hyper-aware of who and what's going on around you. Deploy that deed with confidence when God gives you his signature gentle nudge. This may feel awkward and unnatural. #NoWorries #GoWithIt #DeedWellDone #BlessingsEnsueJustWait

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Lent Day 28 (Day 374 of Experiment)



Scripture: Ps 101, 109:1-4, 20-30; Ps 119:121-144; Genesis 50:15-26; 1 Corinthians 12:1-11; Mark 8:11-26


Scripture standout: Genesis 50: "19 But Joseph said to them, “Don’t be afraid. Am I in the place of God? 20 You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. 21 So then, don’t be afraid. I will provide for you and your children.” And he reassured them and spoke kindly to them."


1 Corinthians 12: "4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. 5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6 There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work."


His Deed/The Day: I think I need to Coke myself as today's deed! I'm feeling a little annoyed, tired and under the gun to get life wrapped up before we leave the country Friday. And truthfully, I'm not even sure if I want to untie, unplug and unroutine myself right this minute. Routine is such a comfortable place. Sigh. (but going to the Cote d'Azur ain't punishment either! Hello?!?!?)


I packed two cold Cokes in the car cooler bag this morning. One went to the Regions Bank teller with the glittery green eyeshadow. She slid my receipt out, and I shoved a cold Coke back in. That's one smile in the bank! The second Coke went to another deserving, hard-working person — our mailman. I saw him right before I had just about hung up my Coking endeavors for the day! He seemed genuinely grateful as well — he was actually wiping sweat off his brow when I wheeled up Beastie up over the curb and extended a frosty Coke can out my pollen-swathed window. It was commercial-esque!!!


Deedsclosure: Fresh out of Cokes today? Pen a quick email to someone you haven't seen in a while, or someone you admire from afar. Tell them how much you admire their gifts or service. 

1 comment:

  1. Hope your bank coke went in the drawer and not the vacuum tube! As a former branch manager I can tell you a few horror stories of things people have tried to send through the tube-including a bottle of wine! I am enjoying reading about your lenten journey.

    ReplyDelete