How to Do-Good

Quick How-To Guide: Start the day with a little silence, scripture (via Forward Day by Day, if you choose) and prayer. Then open your eyes and make it a practice to be hyper-aware of who and what's going on around you. Deploy that deed with confidence when God gives you his signature gentle nudge. This may feel awkward and unnatural. #NoWorries #GoWithIt #DeedWellDone #BlessingsEnsueJustWait

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Lent Day 17 (Day 363 of Experiment)



Scripture: Ps 75, 76, 23, 27; Genesis 43:16-34; 1 Corinthians 7:10-24; Mark 5:1-20


Scripture standout: Ps 23: "1 The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing. 
 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
 3 he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
   for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk
   through the darkest valley,[a]
I will fear no evil,
   for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
   they comfort me."

Mark 5: "6 When he saw Jesus from a distance, he ran and fell on his knees in front of him. 7 He shouted at the top of his voice, “What do you want with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? In God’s name don’t torture me!” 8 For Jesus had said to him, “Come out of this man, you impure spirit!” 9 Then Jesus asked him, “What is your name?”
   “My name is Legion,” he replied, “for we are many.” 10 And he begged Jesus again and again not to send them out of the area.
 11 A large herd of pigs was feeding on the nearby hillside. 12 The demons begged Jesus, “Send us among the pigs; allow us to go into them.” 13 He gave them permission, and the impure spirits came out and went into the pigs. The herd, about two thousand in number, rushed down the steep bank into the lake and were drowned."


His Deed/The Day: And then there were two — Ben's not feeling well either today. While making jello will not be on the list of deeds, it will be one of those days that includes some back scratching, soup-making, cracker plating and pleasant servitude.


Deedclosure: Let's be real: even if I wasn't at the tail-end of a year-long experiment in daily deeding, I'd still be there for my sick kids today. That's what moms do: they're on the job, especially when sickness or sadness hit. Which leads me to a little deeding tip: By virtue of who they are and what their job description details, Moms are natural daily deeders. I would bet each mother's list of daily do-goods for their children or husbands is long and varied.

No comments:

Post a Comment