How to Do-Good

Quick How-To Guide: Start the day with a little silence, scripture (via Forward Day by Day, if you choose) and prayer. Then open your eyes and make it a practice to be hyper-aware of who and what's going on around you. Deploy that deed with confidence when God gives you his signature gentle nudge. This may feel awkward and unnatural. #NoWorries #GoWithIt #DeedWellDone #BlessingsEnsueJustWait

Monday, March 12, 2012

Lent Day 19 (Day 365 of Experiment)



Scripture: Ps 80, 77, 79; Genesis 44:18-34; 1 Corinthians 7:25-31; Mark 5:21-43


Scripture standout: Ps 77: "11 I will remember the deeds of the LORD; 
   yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.
12 I will consider all your works
   and meditate on all your mighty deeds.”

Mark 5: "35 While Jesus was still speaking, some people came from the house of Jairus, the synagogue leader. “Your daughter is dead,” they said. “Why bother the teacher anymore?” 36 Overhearing[a] what they said, Jesus told him, “Don’t be afraid; just believe.”


His Deed/The Day: I caught myself this morning, making one of those "nonsense deeds." I told a family member whose children and husband are sick, "let me know if there's anything I can do for you." Uggh, the dreaded phrase!!!! I have been doing daily deeds now for one whole year. And STILL, that selfish sentence tumbled out of my mouth, to a family member no less!  "Let me know what I can do for you." If I could erase it from my word bank, I would. Don't ask. Just do it. Instead of lobbing out the passive ask, I should think about what I can do to make that person's load a little lighter today — and just do it. Epic fail, as my kids would tell me.


I plan to drop off some smoothies at their house this morning after Marley's doctor's appointment. There. Done. This nasty bug won't leave here, so we're going into the Lion's Den — that germ-ridden, nasty, festering place called the pediatrician's office. Hopefully, it will yield some relief for poor Marley who has  had a high fever since Friday afternoon. Then, it's smoothie time.


Deedsclosure: Today let's talk about those rare moments when someone actually asks for your help or support. As a daily deeder, these moments are celebratory to me! Yes! Now I don't have to worry that a good deed won't transpire today!


Let me share a hard and fast rule with you. When someone asks you for help, here's one of three answers from which you can choose as a response: 1) Of course 2) Sure 3) Abolutely.


Did you see any footnotes or stars or buts or unlesses in there? Seize this awesome chance to be an angel to someone else. This is your big moment! Don't ruin it or over analyze it or try to figure it out by responding with how complicated your schedule is — and with parameters about when you can do it, or if you can do it. Or worse yet, a no but.... Don't do it on your terms. Just do it. Reconfigure your own plans, put the asker's schedule and needs first. I am here to attest after a year's worth of daily deeding, that people RARELY ask for help. Don't worry about being a door mat or run over or taken advantage of. Chances are, you won't be asked again and again and again. These little moments don't happen often. They truly are a little job offer from above. Seize it. Just do it.

1 comment:

  1. BTW -- just in case you think you actually look like your photo in this month's Resident -- you don't. You are 1,000 time prettier than that. Don't you know someone there who can make sure you are caught looking like your beautiful self? When that happens to me I think -- oh, no I've been fooling myself.
    Hope it was a fun night anyway!

    ReplyDelete