How to Do-Good

Quick How-To Guide: Start the day with a little silence, scripture (via Forward Day by Day, if you choose) and prayer. Then open your eyes and make it a practice to be hyper-aware of who and what's going on around you. Deploy that deed with confidence when God gives you his signature gentle nudge. This may feel awkward and unnatural. #NoWorries #GoWithIt #DeedWellDone #BlessingsEnsueJustWait

Monday, March 5, 2012

Lent Day 12 (Day 358 of experiment)



Scripture: Ps 56, 57, 64, 65; Genesis 41:46-57; 1 Corinthians 4:8-20; Mark 3:7-19


Scripture standout: 1 Corinthians 4; "8 Already you have all you want! Already you have become rich!"


His Deed/The Day: For the past few months, we've been using a new writer at The Resident. His work is solid and gives the paper new voice and dimension. I've been thinking that for awhile, and had the opportunity today to tell him.


Deedsclosure: One more freebie deedie for your consideration — the compliment. The compliment can be shared with strangers, friends and family alike — and it is received exactly the same way in all cases. Everyone, I repeat, everyone appreciates a compliment.


For me, paying someone a compliment doesn't exactly roll off my tongue. Some internal mechanism often stops my words for processing, i.e. a quick analysis to decide whether 1) the person will think I'm weird or stalky for saying it 2) if indeed, the person truly deserves the words of encouragement or praise and 3) the mention will create an uncomfortable moment that is best avoided altogether. So sometimes I let the moment go by without comment. Dang rationalization function! I always wish I'd just freaking said something when that happens! I have compliment remorse!


My advice? Just say it, don't process it. I always feel super charged when someone tells me I do good work with my job, or they liked my story, or they think my shoes are cool. A compliment provides a prolonged lift to the day. Why not share this gift with someone today?

No comments:

Post a Comment